Like movies, video games span a multitude of genres and cover a lot of controversial ground. That means there is the potential for very young kids to run into game content featuring sex, drugs, and rock and roll–game content that’s far removed from the likes of Big Bird’s Sailboat Adventure.
If you’re a parent or a guardian, you might not want your young charge wandering into content that’s not suitable for them. Fortunately, most modern game systems have parental control systems that can help ensure kids can only access games that fall under a certain ESRB rating. Here’s how to activate the parental controls for Nintendo’s Wii.
How to Set Up Wii Parental Controls
- Turn on your Wii video game system.
- Point your Wii remote at the circular Wii icon in the bottom left-hand corner of the main menu, and select it.
- Choose Wii Settings (indicated by the wrench icon).
- Point your Wii remote at the right arrow icon and press the A button to flip to page 2.
- Select the Parental Controls option.
- When prompted, enter your four-digit pin number code (remember it!) and a secret question and answer for added security (hint: don’t pick a birthday or other easily guessable password).
- Choose Game Settings and PIN.
- Select Higher Game Rating Allowed to restrict the games that kids can access by ESRB video game content rating.
- Select Confirm.
- Select Other Settings.
- You can set “Yes” or “No” to restrictions on Wii Points spending, Message Boards the Internet, the News channel, and online play.